Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Semper eadem/Tout entière

For once I believe that I have nothing to say.


Semper Eadem
“From where do you come, you said, that strange sadness,
Rising up like the sea over the black and naked rock?”
—When our heart has once harvested its vineyard
Living is an evil. It is a secret known to all,

A simple and non-mysterious pain
And, like your joy, sparkling for all.
So you cease from searching, oh curious beauty!
And, although your voice is sweet, be silent!

Be silent, ignorant! Ever-delighted soul!
Mouth with the infantile laugh! Still more than Life,
Death holds us often by subtle strings.

Leave, leave my heart gets drunk from a falsehood,
Plunging into your beautiful eyes like a lovely dream
And dozing for a long time in the shadow of your lashes!

Semper Eadem
«D'où vous vient, disiez-vous, cette tristesse étrange,
Montant comme la mer sur le roc noir et nu?»
— Quand notre coeur a fait une fois sa vendange
Vivre est un mal. C'est un secret de tous connu,

Une douleur très simple et non mystérieuse
Et, comme votre joie, éclatante pour tous.
Cessez donc de chercher, ô belle curieuse!
Et, bien que votre voix soit douce, taisez-vous!

Taisez-vous, ignorante! âme toujours ravie!
Bouche au rire enfantin! Plus encor que la Vie,
La Mort nous tient souvent par des liens subtils.

Laissez, laissez mon coeur s'enivrer d'un mensonge,
Plonger dans vos beaux yeux comme dans un beau songe
Et sommeiller longtemps à l'ombre de vos cils!


All Entirety
The Demon, in my high chamber
This morning is come to see me,
And, trying to bring me into fault
Said to me: “I would want to know well

Among all the beautiful things
Which made her enchantment,
Among the objects black and red
Which compose her charming body,

Which is the most sweet?” –Oh my soul!
You answered to the Abominate:
“Since in Her all is dittany,
Nothing can be preferred.

When everything ravishes me, I do not know
If some thing seduces me.
She dazzles like the Daybreak
And comforts like the Night;

And the harmony is too exquisite,
That governs her entire beautiful body,
For impotent analysis
In noting the numerous chords.

Oh mystic metamorphosis
Of all my senses dissolving into one!
Her breathing made music,
Like her voice made perfume!”

Tout entière
Le Démon, dans ma chambre haute
Ce matin est venu me voir,
Et, tâchant à me prendre en faute
Me dit: «Je voudrais bien savoir

Parmi toutes les belles choses
Dont est fait son enchantement,
Parmi les objets noirs ou roses
Qui composent son corps charmant,

Quel est le plus doux.» — Ô mon âme!
Tu répondis à l'Abhorré:
«Puisqu'en Elle tout est dictame
Rien ne peut être préféré.

Lorsque tout me ravit, j'ignore
Si quelque chose me séduit.
Elle éblouit comme l'Aurore
Et console comme la Nuit;

Et l'harmonie est trop exquise,
Qui gouverne tout son beau corps,
Pour que l'impuissante analyse
En note les nombreux accords.

Ô métamorphose mystique
De tous mes sens fondus en un!
Son haleine fait la musique,
Comme sa voix fait le parfum!»

No comments: