Monday, August 11, 2008

Le Balcon

I am seriously thinking about boycotting facebook, simply because it reminds me of people and places that I would do well never to think of again. Not just because of him either. Right now he is the least of my worries.

Right now my room is a chaotic orgy of heavy books, piles of clothing, and tons of sacred little knick-knacks which could be destroyed with a touch. Not a terribly good combination I think. I will be settled for good in about two weeks. Until then I am sleeping inches above the floor and waking up to the sound of obnoxious passersby in the street.

The boy's departure has stuffed me full of ennui, sure, but it's beginning to die. I have much more important things to be upset about. Like the fact that I have fallen behind on posting. Here goes!

The Balcony
Mother of memories, mistress of mistresses,
Oh you, all my pleasures! Oh you, all my duties!
You will bring back to me the beauty of caresses,
The sweetness of home and the charm of evenings,
Mother of memories, mistress of mistresses!

The evenings illuminated by the fire of charcoal,
And the evenings on the balcony, veiled with rosy vapors.
How your breast was sweet to me! How your heart was good to me!
You have often told of imperishable things
The evenings illuminated by the fire of charcoal.

How lovely are the suns in the warm evenings!
How the space is deep! How the heart is strong!
In my tilting towards you, queen of the beloved,
I believe to breathe the perfume of your blood.
How lovely are the suns in the warm evenings!

The night deepened itself as a dividing wall,
And my eyes in the dark discerned your eyes,
And I drank your breathing, sweetness! Poison!
And your feet went to sleep in my brotherly hands.
The night deepened itself as a dividing wall.

I know the art of evoking happy moments,
And I see my past again huddled in your knees.
For what good is it to search for languid beauties
Elsewhere than in your dear body and your heart so sweet?
I know the art of evoking happy moments!

These promises, these perfumes, these unending kisses,
Are they reborn from a chasm forbidding of our sounds,
Like the rejuvenated suns go up to the heavens
After being washed in the depths of the deep seas?
—Oh promises, oh perfumes, oh unending kisses!

Le Balcon
Mère des souvenirs, maîtresse des maîtresses,
Ô toi, tous mes plaisirs! ô toi, tous mes devoirs!
Tu te rappelleras la beauté des caresses,
La douceur du foyer et le charme des soirs,
Mère des souvenirs, maîtresse des maîtresses!

Les soirs illuminés par l'ardeur du charbon,
Et les soirs au balcon, voilés de vapeurs roses.
Que ton sein m'était doux! que ton coeur m'était bon!
Nous avons dit souvent d'impérissables choses
Les soirs illuminés par l'ardeur du charbon.

Que les soleils sont beaux dans les chaudes soirées!
Que l'espace est profond! que le coeur est puissant!
En me penchant vers toi, reine des adorées,
Je croyais respirer le parfum de ton sang.
Que les soleils sont beaux dans les chaudes soirées!

La nuit s'épaississait ainsi qu'une cloison,
Et mes yeux dans le noir devinaient tes prunelles,
Et je buvais ton souffle, ô douceur! ô poison!
Et tes pieds s'endormaient dans mes mains fraternelles.
La nuit s'épaississait ainsi qu'une cloison.

Je sais l'art d'évoquer les minutes heureuses,
Et revis mon passé blotti dans tes genoux.
Car à quoi bon chercher tes beautés langoureuses
Ailleurs qu'en ton cher corps et qu'en ton coeur si doux?
Je sais l'art d'évoquer les minutes heureuses!

Ces serments, ces parfums, ces baisers infinis,
Renaîtront-ils d'un gouffre interdit à nos sondes,
Comme montent au ciel les soleils rajeunis
Après s'être lavés au fond des mers profondes?
— Ô serments! ô parfums! ô baisers infinis!
-------
M. says I have become increasingly melodramatic since summer began. This is probably true.

No comments: