Wednesday, May 13, 2009

La Mort des Amants

Pretty sunshine days and Annapolitan sunsets. The world is warmer and I remain convinced that I have found what I have been looking for. My mother says she is sad and I feel bad in telling her that I am the happiest I have ever been. There are some refusals but I have enough to keep me going. I love the world and I love the hope that comes with being content.

Baudelaire greets death with his lovers.

The Death of the Lovers
We will have beds full of light scents,
Couches as deep as tombs,
And strange flowers on the shelves,
Blooming for us under skies more beautiful.

Using their last warmth to outdo each other,
Our two hearts will be two great flames,
That will reflect their double lights
In our two spirits, these twin mirrors.

An evening made of mystical rose and blue,
We will exchange a single lightning flash,
Like a long sob, completely full of farewells.

And later an Angel, opening the doors,
Will come to renew, faithful and joyous,
The tarnished mirrors and dead flames.

La Mort des Amants
Nous aurons des lits pleins d'odeurs légères,
Des divans profonds comme des tombeaux,
Et d'étranges fleurs sur des étagères,
Ecloses pour nous sous des cieux plus beaux.

Usant à l'envi leurs chaleurs dernières,
Nos deux coeurs seront deux vastes flambeaux,
Qui réfléchiront leurs doubles lumières
Dans nos deux esprits, ces miroirs jumeaux.

Un soir fait de rose et de bleu mystique,
Nous échangerons un éclair unique,
Comme un long sanglot, tout chargé d'adieux;

Et plus tard un Ange, entr'ouvrant les portes,
Viendra ranimer, fidèle et joyeux,
Les miroirs ternis et les flammes mortes.
---
Summer loving, loathing, longing. Here it comes!

No comments: