Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Franciscae meae laudes

So Baudelaire pulled a nasty trick and decided to write a poem in Latin. While my French is shaky at best, my Latin is completely and utterly non-existent. So I found This Website which gave me a French translation of the Latin. I don't know if Baudelaire wrote it but it's close enough I guess. My English is more horrendous than usual since it is in fact the second time this has been translated out. Oh yeah, and the formatting is also a hell of my own making.

“Praises” in honor of my Frances
I will sing of you in a new way,
Oh precious one, who frolics
In the solitude of my heart.

Be covered with garlands;
Oh exquisite woman
Grace that absolves the sins!

I will drink kisses
Like a beneficent Lethe
In you from where emanates a magnetic attraction.

When the storm of vices
Swept all the paths,
You appeared, Deity,

Like the savior star
Upon the ugly shipwrecks…
My heart is hung on your altars!

Pool full of virtue,
Source of eternal youth,
Return the words to my speechless lips!

That which is rotten, you have burned,
Too course, you have smoothed over;
Feeble, you have strengthened.

Hostel in my dearth,
Light in my night,
Guide me on the upright road.

Add now strength to my strength,
Bath of gentleness all perfumed
With sweet odors!

Sparkle about my loins,
Oh girdle of chastity,
Colored with seraphic water;

Cup brilliant with gems,
Salted bread, delicate dish,
Heavenly wine, oh Frances!

"Laudes" en l'honneur de ma Françoise
Sur un mode nouveau je te chanterai,
O mignonne qui t'ébats
Dans la solitude de mon coeur.

Sois couverte de guirlandes;
O femme exquise
Grâce à qui sont absous les péchés!

Je puiserai des baisers
Comme un bienfaisant Léthé
En toi d'où émane un attrait magnétique.

Quand la tempête des vices
Balayait tous les sentiers,
Tu parus, Déité,

Comme l'étoile salvatrice
Dans les naufrages amers ...
Que mon coeur soit pendu à tes autels!

Piscine pleine de vertu,
Source d'éternelle jeunesse,
Rends la parole à mes lèvres muettes!

Ce qui était pourri, tu l'as brûlé;
Trop grossier, tu l'as aplani;
Débile, tu l'as affermi.

Auberge dans ma disette,
Lumière dans ma nuit,
Guide-moi sur le droit chemin.

Ajoute maintenant des forces à mes forces,
Bain de douceur tout parfumé
D'odeurs suaves!

Étincelle autour de mes reins,
O ceinture de chasteté,
Teinte d'une eau séraphique;

Coupe brillante de pierreries,
Pain salé, mets délicat,
Vin divin, ô Françoise!

Franciscae meae laudes
Novis te cantabo chordis,
O novelletum quod ludis
In solitudine cordis.

Esto sertis implicata,
Ô femina delicata
Per quam solvuntur peccata!

Sicut beneficum Lethe,
Hauriam oscula de te,
Quae imbuta es magnete.

Quum vitiorum tempegtas
Turbabat omnes semitas,
Apparuisti, Deitas,

Velut stella salutaris
In naufragiis amaris.....
Suspendam cor tuis aris!

Piscina plena virtutis,
Fons æternæ juventutis
Labris vocem redde mutis!

Quod erat spurcum, cremasti;
Quod rudius, exaequasti;
Quod debile, confirmasti.

In fame mea taberna
In nocte mea lucerna,
Recte me semper guberna.

Adde nunc vires viribus,
Dulce balneum suavibus
Unguentatum odoribus!

Meos circa lumbos mica,
O castitatis lorica,
Aqua tincta seraphica;

Patera gemmis corusca,
Panis salsus, mollis esca,
Divinum vinum, Francisca!


No comments: